So this morning I was having a deep conversation with a friend of mine, and he asked me to give him some more of my ‘salient wisdom’. I duly did, and with my role of advisor to him having been carried out, I started wondering what I might advise myself. Now at the end of 2011, when I had just turned 16, I wrote down 13 things that I had learnt that year (see end of post for those and a photo of me then). Seeing that I am now two years older, I thought it was about time that I gave my younger self some advice for the times ahead.
1. Always take your makeup off before you go to sleep. Always. Even for naps. Panda eyes are not a good look.
2. Always listen to your mother when she tell you to put sun cream on/take a coat/wear a scarf etc. You always regret not taking her advice.
3. Promises often become lies. But that’s okay, because they were heartfelt at the time.
4. Your parents love you more than you will ever know and they understand you way better than they think you do.
5. Please don’t cut your hair short. You will immediately start trying to grow it out.
6. Don’t trust boys with pretty eyes.
7. Things have a way of working out in the way you least expect them to. Have faith and it will all come together.
8. Always be honest and upfront. Yes, the truth may hurt, but it hurts a lot less than being lied to.
9. Take risks and embrace the unknown, but always trust your gut.
10. Four glasses of wine is too much. Six rounds of tequila though isn’t.
11. Don’t be afraid to say goodbye and let things go. They’ll come back eventually if they’re meant to be a part of your life.
12. Sometimes the things that you think will make you happy actually make you miserable. Don’t be afraid to kick them out of your life.
13. Always prioritise your own happiness, but remember happiness often comes by focusing on others rather than yourself.
So, younger self, there you have it. I hope this will help you while you live out the past two years in some parallel universe. I also hope it helps some of you, regardless of where you are in life.
Peace, Love and Cuddles.
The 13 lessons of 2011
#1 - You’ve got to have rain if you want a rainbow.
#2 - Once you’ve found something you love doing, keep on doing it no matter what.
#3 - EXPLORE. The best things are hard to find. You won’t discover them unless you get out there and start looking.
#4 - You can do anything you want to - you just need determination to get there, the attitude to make it happen, and humour to laugh when it all goes wrong.
#5 - Don’t take anything for granted.
#6 - People will lie, cheat, and stab you in the back. There will be people who use you and don’t love you even though they say they do. But there are people out there who do love you and would never hurt you, and they’re the ones you have to find and never let go of.
#7 - Approach everything in life with an open mind.
#8 - Never let anything come between you and your friends. They’re the only people who won’t moan when you come back hurt after not taking their advice.
#9 - Play life by your own rules, don’t let someone else’s restrict you.
#10 - Life is full of surprises.
#11 - Forgiveness is your greatest weapon.
#12 - Good things come to those who wait.
#13 - Everything in life changes. The only thing that doesn’t is the fact that you can’t stop them from doing so.